Team: Child & Youth Engagement
Last Updated: 15th November, 2018
Convenor: Contact South Alive office
Telephone: 21 6882
To ensure young people in South Invercargill are involved in the positive development of their community.
- To provide an opportunity for young people's voices to be heard.
- To inspire and support young leaders in South Invercargill
- To have young people actively involved in South Alive events, discussions and vision
- To help the South Alive adults understand young peoples wants and needs around their community involvement.
What has the team done?
- Kingswell Creek clean-up & signage, with help from volunteer team & Aurora College students & Environment Southland.
- Outdoor Gym behind South City Mall - developed plan for gym, sourced and organised equipment, obtained funding from ICC Active Communities fund and local business, and assistance from ICC Parks
- Organising 'South City Yellow Bikes Loan Scheme' - selection of South Alive bikes to be parked in stands behind South City Mall & available to families & individuals to use.
- SeaWeek Banner on fence at Dog Park - advertised & encouraged participation from Early Childhood Centres & South City Schools.
- Donation of Books to after-school reading programme at Lindisfarne Community Centre.
- Organised regular youth basketball competitions
- Organised a youth Open Mic Night
- Encourage more young members to join group from schools & South City Community organisations - we want more youth ideas and participation!
What Volunteer opportunites are there?
1. Join our Group:
We would like some more young members, with ideas for future projects! The Outdoor Gym idea came from a youth brainstorm.
Attend meetings, approx. 1 x monthly. Meetings are usually about 1 hour long
Meetings discuss and make decisions on the projects, assess any new projects ideas. Organise the work needed on projects.
2. Casual Volunteer