Teams and Projects
Teams and Projects
- Electric Blanket testing - ensuring electric blankets in South Invercargill are safe
- Random Recognition Competition - Recognising community members who are going the extra mile with their properties
- Agency Speed Dating - connecting community members with service agencies
Fruit & Nut Trees
- Fruit tree planting - Planting fruit and nut trees and fruit bushes in public places, mulching, pruning.
- Pop-up flower gardens - Planting donated flowers in roadside spaces, with permission of owners e.g. in front of businesses.
- Hanging baskets on Elles Road - Replanted each spring and at the end of summer.
- Zero Rubbish - Keeping South Invercargill parks and streets free of rubbishby persuading residents, groups and organisations to adopt areas and pick up the rubbish on a regular basis.
- Community Gardens - managing South Alive’s community gardens.
Children & Youth
Film Nights and youth events - coming soon, regular film and pizza nights for our youth.
Community Artspace - Opened and manage an artspace in the South City shopping mall. Curating exhibitions, hosting other artists and providing an opportunity for South Invercargill residents to showcase their work
South City Shopping
- Changes to streetscapes in Martin St and Elles Road installation - Changes to Martin Street & Elles Road to provide covered seating, trees and art. Elles Road to include lighted poles at night. Running national sculpture competition to install major sculpture at north entrance.
- Mall Changes - Seats for the mall project, as well as art and plants. Assisting landlord with upgrades and maintenance
- Dog Park - working with Council to plan and build Invercargill’s first Dog Park
- Community Park Project - Constructing a community park in the area between the back of the mall and Ness Street. The park includes 18 community garden boxes, a half basketball court, large performance stage, an outdoor gym and a mound and grass areas. In time we hope to also have a café.
- Over the Fence - Promoting/assisting neighbours to get to know each other. Project will provide information kits and materials, and suggested events, with subsidies available e.g. coffee mornings, BBQ lunch or dinners
- Neighbourhood Project Fund - Funding of up to $1,000 for neighbourhood level projects where this is matched by in-kind contributions from participants.
Marketing & Events
- Night Food Markets - fortnightly Night Food Markets in the South Alive community park throughout summer
- South Alive Trolley Derby - bringing back trolley racing! Annual event racing down Rimu St – Invercargill’s only hill!
- Children’s Day - celebrating our children through a free event for children including races, water slides, bumper balls and more
- Spring Flower show - celebrating the arrival of Spring with flowers and poetry
- Street Partyan annual event celebrating all things South Invercargill! Elles Rd is closed for the event with food and dancing in the streets
- Quiz NightOur annual fundraiser at the Newfield Tavern, well supported by locals and businesses alike
- Media relations, promotion and eventsOn-going publicity and news about South Alive. Developing and supporting events. Assistance to groups in promoting their events